Is Your “Baby” an Adult Now?

Now that the ceremonies are over and the festivities have died down, it’s time for parents of high school graduates to face the cold, hard facts: your “baby” is all grown up and ready to transition into the real world.

It’s also important to remember that once your child turns 18, you lose the legal ability to make decisions for your child or even to find out basic legal, financial or health care information.

Like most parents, you may be surprised to learn that if your 18 year old “child” had a medical emergency while away at school without the proper legal documents in place, you may not be able to speak to the doctors. Instead you would have to go to court and ask a Judge’s permission to obtain information about your own child’s medical condition or to be able to make decisions about their treatment.

Here is a list of legal documents that allow anyone, including a young adult, to name another person to make medical and financial decisions for them, if they are unable to make them for themself. These documents are not costly to prepare, and everyone 18 years of age or older should have them.

These 3 key documents are a part of my “Graduate’s Planning Kit” – they give you the legal permission you need to HELP your child in an emergency!

* A Heath Care Proxy (for health care matters) gives another person legal authority to make health care decisions (including life and death decisions) for your child, if necessary.

* HIPAA Authorization give your child’s doctors permission to discuss their medical situation with trusted family members who have been specifically authorized. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act protects your child’s privacy by limiting who can look at their medical records. This form authorizing others to review your child’s medical information easily skirts that issue.

* A Durable Power of Attorney (for legal and financial matters) gives another person legal authority to manage your child’s finances without court interference, if necessary. That could even include semesters your child spends studying abroad. It also gives the named agent the ability to speak with an employer or social security or even pursue a lawsuit on your child’s behalf.

Our “Graduate’s Planning Kit” is normally $350, but to make sure your child is fully protected before they head off to school in the fall, you can receive this critical kit for just $197 when you call (978) 263-6900 and schedule your appointment by July 31, 2013!

To your family’s health, wealth, and happiness!



P.S. – A Graduation Gift for YOU: Mention this page and receive a FREE Family Wealth Planning Session (normally $750) to go over YOUR will, trust or other legal documents!  Having an “adult” child is a huge life-change for mom and dad too and your estate planning documents must be updated accordingly!

The following two tabs change content below.

The Parents Estate Planning Law Firm, PC

At The Parents Estate Planning Law Firm, we answer your questions at your convenience; we stay in frequent communication; and we meet to discuss changes in life circumstances and in the law to ensure that your assets are protected.

Latest posts by The Parents Estate Planning Law Firm, PC (see all)


The Parents Estate Planning Law Firm, PC is a unique estate planning law firm serving families in Massachusetts. Our team is committed to helping parents at all stages make sure their loved ones are completely protected if the unexpected happens, while making things as easy as possible for their families.

31 Nagog Park, Suite 301, Acton, MA 01720 | 978-263-6900 | [email protected] |