What is a Health Care Proxy and who should have one in place?

Read More

My child is over 18 years old. What legal documents do they need?

A question we get a lot from our clients, who are planning with us is "We are protecting our kids, but are our kids, themselves actually protected?" When this question comes from a client with older children, we advise our clients that, when your kids turn eighteen, they are legal adults. At that time, parents can no longer see their child's medical records, they can't get information about their kids, anymore, Read More

What is a Legacy Interview? Leaving more than money.

In addition to drafting legal documents for all of our clients, to make sure that their assets are taken care of and their families are fully protected, we also understand at the firm that there are certain aspects that really make you, "you," which are not able to be preserved through traditional estate planning methods. That's why we conduct what we call our Legacy Interview. A Legacy Interview is something we Read More

Trust vs. Will: What is the Difference?

What is a trust, what is a will, and what is the difference between the two? When most people hear "estate planning," they immediately think "will," but for parents, a simple will is, simply, not enough. A  very common questions we get is "What is the difference between and will and a trust?" In some ways they are very similar, and in some ways they are very different. The way that they are similar is that both a Read More

Naming Guardians: What are short and long-term guardians?

So, maybe you've heard that there are certain documents you need to have in place to make sure that your kids are protected no matter what, but you don't know what those documents are. Here's what we recommend if you're the parent of a young child: If you are the parent of a young child, you want to have a Kids Protection Plan in place. With a Kids Protection Plan in place, you will have named long-term guardians for Read More

Durable Power of Attorney: What happens if I am incapacitated?

Durable Power of Attorney. What happens if I am incapacitated? Another question we frequently get is "What would happen if something happened to me, and I wasn't able to fulfill my daily responsibilities?" These are things like picking up your certified mail at the post office, accessing a safe-deposit box, or simply paying bills. How we at The Parents Estate Planning Law Firm, PC solve that problem is by drafting Read More

Tax Season! Investing Your Tax Refund Creatively

David Feakes, President of The Parents Estate Planning Law Firm, PC, shares why investing in a comprehensive estate plan is the smart, loving way to use your tax refund this year. Also covered, Red Sox Opening Day, and National Health Care Decisions Week! Read More

Estate Planning and New Years Resolutions

Attorney, David Feakes of The Parents Estate Planning Law Firm, PC in Acton MA wants you to make estate planning the one resolution you keep in 2017. Read More

Questions & Answers 2: Kids Protection Planning Seminars

Attorney David Feakes and Client Services Director Paula Feakes answering some of the FAQs from our 2016 Kids Protection Planning Workshops in Acton, MA Read More

Essential Legal Planning for Young Adults

The simple fact is that the day your child turns 18, he or she becomes a young adult, and has the legal rights of an adult. What this means for you is that you lose your prior held rights to make medical and financial decisions for your child, unless your child executes legal documents giving you those rights back. Without the proper legal documents in place, accessing medical information, and even being informed Read More