Having a will simply is not enough. It doesn’t guarantee the care of your children if the unthinkable happens!
Your estate plan must safeguard your children, who are counting on you to ensure that they will always be taken care of by the people you want, in the way you want, no matter what happens.
At The Parents Estate Planning Law Firm, PC, we are very passionate about planning for the well-being and care of the children you love. Over the years, we have developed an expertise for advance planning for the care of children in the event of the death of one or both parents. Without this advance legal planning, unthinkable events can (and do) take place:
- Your children could be placed into the care of the Department of Children and Families … even if you have a will in place .. and even if you have a living trust. (Likely this circumstance would be temporary, but you never want your children in the care of strangers – not even for a minute.)
- Your children could be put into the custody and care of someone you would never choose, like the one family member who may have good intentions, but you don’t want raising your kids!
- A Judge, who doesn’t know you or your family, will decide who will raise your kids, even if it is the last person you would ever want.
- A long and nasty custody fight could ensue or there might be a challenge to the guardians you have designated.
- Up to 5% of the value of your assets could be lost to court costs and other unnecessary fees through the probate process that can tie up your assets for years and deprive your kids of the resources they need.
- Unscrupulous people can take advantage of children when they turn 18 and get a check for whatever assets are left.
Kids Protection Planning®
With advance legal planning, these problems and more can be avoided. A majority of estate planning attorneys do not address these issues. They do not plan from a parent’s perspective and they do not have the expertise to do a comprehensive job.
Yes, these occurrences scare us, too. That is why we offer a Kids Protection Plan© with every estate plan we do for families with minor children.
Our Kids Protection Plan includes a specific set of instructions, legal documents, and an ID card for your wallet. If you are in an accident, your Kids Protection Plan will help to make sure your children are never taken into the custody of Child Protective Services or anyone else you would not want. These clear instructions inform the Police and ensure your children will be raised by people you have selected.
To get started with your Kids Protection Plan©, please call us at (978) 263-6900, today.